Bibliography of English Language Scholarship on Ezra Pound
(Assembled and edited by Archie Henderson and Roxana Preda)
BOOKS BY EZRA POUND
- Pound, Ezra. Cathay. A Critical Edition. Ed. Timothy Billings. Foreword by Haun Saussy. Introduction by Christopher Bush. New York: Fordham UP, 2018.
Contents, pp. vii-ix -- Foreword: The Archive of Cathay, by Haun Saussy, pp. xi-xvii -- Introduction: “From the Decipherings,” by Christopher Bush, pp. 1-13 -- Editor’s Introduction: Cracking the Crib, by Timothy Billings, pp. 15-32 -- Cathay (1915). Front Matter to Cathay, pp. 33-34 -- Song of the Bowmen of Shu, p. 35 -- The Beautiful Toilet, p. 36 -- The River Song, pp. 37-38 -- The River Merchant’s Wife: A Letter, p. 39 -- The Jewel Stairs’ Grievance, p. 40 -- Poem by the Bridge at Ten-shin, p. 41 -- Lament of the Frontier Guard, p. 42 -- Exile’s Letter, pp. 43-45 -- The Seafarer, pp. 46-48 -- Four Poems of Departure: “Light rain is on the light dust,” p. 49 -- Separation on the River Kiang, p. 49 -- Taking Leave of a Friend, p. 50 -- Leave-Taking near Shoku, p. 50 -- The City of Choan, p. 51 -- South-Folk in Cold Country, p. 52 -- Back Matter to Cathay, p. 53 -- From Lustra (1916): The Chinese Poems. Additions to Cathay. Sennin Poem by Kakuhaku, p. 57 -- A Ballad of the Mulberry Road, p. 58 -- Old Idea of Choan by Rosoriu, p. 59 -- To-Em-Mei’s “The Unmoving Cloud,” p. 60 -- Miscellaneous Poems. After Chu Yuan, p. 63- Liu Ch’e, p. 63 -- Fan Piece, For Her Imperial Lord, p. 64 -- Ts’ai Chi’h, p. 64 -- Ancient Wisdom, Rather Cosmic, p. 65 -- Epitaphs, p. 65 -- The Little Review (1918): Two Translations. Dawn on the Mountain, p. 69 -- Wine, p. 69 -- Cribs for Cathay & Other Poems. Editorial Conventions, pp. 73-74 -- Front Matter to Cathay, pp. 75-77 -- Song of the Bowmen of Shu (Classic of Poetry 詩經 167), pp. 78-89 -- The Beautiful Toilet (attrib. Mei Sheng 枚乘), pp. 90-97 -- The River Song (Li Bo 李白), pp. 98-117 -- The River Merchant’s Wife: A Letter (Li Bo 李白), pp. 118-132 -- The Jewel Stairs’ Grievance (Li Bo 李白), pp. 133-137 -- Poem by the Bridge at Ten-shin (Li Bo 李白), pp. 138-150 -- Lament of the Frontier Guard (Li Bo 李白), pp. 151-160 -- Exile’s Letter (Li Bo 李白), pp. 161-192 -- The Seafarer (Anonymous), pp. 193-215 -- Four Poems of Departure. “Light rain is on the light dust,” pp. 216-219 -- Separation on the River Kiang (Li Bo 李白), pp. 220-224 -- Taking Leave of a Friend (Li Bo 李白), pp. 225-231 -- Leave-Taking near Shoku (Li Bo 李白), pp. 232-235 -- The City of Choan (Li Bo 李白), pp. 236-242 -- South-Folk in Cold Country (Li Bo 李白), pp. 243-250 -- Back Matter to Cathay, pp. 251-252 -- Sennin Poem by Kakuhaku (Guo Pu 郭璞), pp. 253-260 -- A Ballad of the Mulberry Road (Anonymous), pp. 261-267 -- Old Idea of Choan by Rosoriu (Lu Zhaolin 盧照鄰), pp. 268-276 -- To-Em-Mei’s “The Unmoving Cloud” (Tao Yuanming 陶淵明), pp. 277-286 -- After Chu Yuan (屈原 Qu Yuan), pp. 287-296 -- Liu Ch’e (Liu Che 劉徹), pp. 297-299 -- Fan Piece, For Her Imperial Lord (attrib. Ban Jieyu 班婕妤), pp. 300-303 -- Ts’ai Chi’h (Pound), pp. 304-308 -- Ancient Wisdom, Rather Cosmic (Li Bo 李白), pp. 309-314 -- Epitaphs / Fu I (Fu Yi 傅奕) and Li Po (Pound), pp. 315-316 -- Dawn on the Mountain (Wang Wei 王維), pp. 317-319 -- Wine (Li Bo 李白), pp. 320-324 -- Chinese Poetry (1918), pp. 325-331 -- Acknowledgments, pp. 333-335 -- Bibliography, pp. 337-343. Chapter excerpts in lieu of abstracts.
- Pound, Ezra, and Olga Rudge. The Blue Spill. Ed. Mark Byron. London: Bloomsbury, 2019. Preview.
- Molina Robles, José Luis. "Poetics in Translation: 'Make it New' by Ezra Pound and 'Transcreation' by Haroldo de Campos." Ph.D., Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen, 2019. Free online.
Baumann, Walter and Caterina Ricciardi, eds. Ezra Pound's Green World: Nature, Landscape and Language. Papers from the 26th Ezra Pound International Conference at Brunnenburg, 2015. Brighton: Edward Everett Root Publishers, 2019
Walter Baumann and Caterina Ricciardi, Preface, xi-xvii.
I. THE GREEN WORLD:
Walter Baumann, Ezra Pound and Trees, 3-9
Stoddard Martin, Sacred Landscape: Lago di Garda in the Work of Ezra Pound and D. H. Lawrence, 11-23
William Pratt, The Grasshopper and the Ant: Pound's Versions of Pastoral, 25-34
II. THE THREE PILLARS:
John Gery, What are Temples for: Spontaneity, Simultaneity and Fortuna in Canto 97, 37-53
Gerd Schmidt, "Sumerian" Hieroglyphs in Cantos 94, 97 and 100, 55-58
III. MYTH, BEAUTY AND A GURU:
Massimo Bacigalupo, The Green World in the Autobiographical Myth of The Cantos, 61-71
Stephen Romer, "The fine thing held in the mind": Painterliness Emanating in Pound's Early Poems and Cantos, 73-83
Mick Sheldon, Allen Upward's Influence on Ezra Pound's Green World, 85-96
IV. METAPHOR AND METAMORPHOSIS:
Jo Brantley Berryman, Pound's Green World: Mimesis, Metaphor, and Magic, 99-110
Rosella Mamoli Zorzi, The Myth of Daphne in Pound's Early Poetry, 111-121
Peter Liebregts, "Damned to you Midas, Midas lacking a Pan": Ezra Pound and the Use of Pan, 123-136
V. THEORY AND THE CANTOS:
Charles Altieri, Taking Fascist Ontology Seriously: Why "the Green World" Could Not Suffice for the Early Cantos, 139-151
Giuliana Ferreccio, Pound's Iconic Acts: Rituals and Natural Language in the Early-Middle Cantos, 153-164
Jonathan Pollock, The Poetics of Cut and Flow in The Cantos of Ezra Pound, 165-173
VI. EZRA POUND ON TV, IN SCHOOLS AND IN HIS DESCENDANTS:
Sean Mark, "Two larks in contrappunto / at sunset": Pound and Pasolini After the Fall, 177-192
Viorica Patea, Patrizia de Rachewiltz's My Taishan: Confessions in the Pound Tradition, 201-219, free online
John Gery, "Independence in a Green World": Mary de Rachewiltz as Student and Teacher, 221-228
2. The Edinburgh Companion to Ezra Pound and the Arts. Ed. Roxana Preda. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 2019.
Acknowledgements viii; List of Abbreviations ix;
Roxana Preda. A Brief Introduction 1
PART I FOUNDATIONS
1. Giuliana Ferreccio. ‘Mermaids, that Carving’: Ezra Pound and Italian Art 9
2. Stephen Romer. ‘Templum Aedificavit’: Ezra Pound and Architecture 38
3. Mark Byron. Ezra Pound and East Asian Art 61
4. Charles Timbrell. Ezra Pound and Old Music 78
5. Evelyn Haller. Ezra Pound: Premier Danseur by Proxy 87
6. R. Bruce Elder. Time, Speed, Precision and the Poetry of the Everyday; or, Ezra Pound’s Cinema Aesthetic 106
PART II THE LONDON PERIOD 1908–1920
7. Sara Dunton and Demetres P. Tryphonopoulos. Ezra Pound and Nineteenth-Century Aestheticism: Sharing ‘Breath for Beauty and the Arts’ with Rossetti and Pater 141
8. Jo Brantley Berryman. Ezra Pound and James McNeill Whistler: Modernism and Conceptual Art 157
9. Charles Timbrell. Ezra Pound and Walter Rummel 177
10. Justin Kishbaugh. ‘Museum Pieces’: Laurence Binyon, Ezra Pound and the Visual Arts 183
11. Mark Antliff. Into the Vortex: Ezra Pound, Anarchism and the Ideological Project of Art Criticism 193
12. Paul Edwards. ‘Intelligence . . . Shut In by the Entrenched Forces of Stupidity’: Ezra Pound and Wyndham Lewis 214
13. Ira Nadel. Vorticist Photography, or The Three Angles of Ezra Pound and Alvin Langdon Coburn 231
14. Sean Mark. ‘Creation and Action’: Ezra Pound and Italian Futurism 247
15. Jack Baker. Ezra Pound and Wassily Kandinsky: Inner Necessity and the Paradiso Terrestre 260
16. Stephen Adams. Agnes Bedford: An Invisible Helpmate 273
PART III PARIS 1921–1924
17. Roxana Preda. Constantin Brâncuşi, Vorticist: Sculpture, Art Criticism, Poetry 283
18. Mauro Piccinini. Percussive Music for a Triangle: Ezra Pound’s Relationship with George Antheil and Olga Rudge 305
19. Scott W. Klein. ‘Like Coins out of Circulation’: Reframing Ezra Pound’s Le Testament 334
20. Gemma Moss. Ezra Pound as Music Theorist: Antheil and the Treatise on Harmony 347
21. Margaret Fisher. The Expansion of a Theory: Great Bass and Ballet mécanique 359
22. Leslee Smucker. Renaissance Man: Ezra Pound’s Search for a Contemporary Colour Palette Through His Solo Violin Works 376
PART IV THE ITALIAN YEARS 1925–1945
23. Massimo Bacigalupo. Ezra Pound’s Artistic Thinking and Relations in Italy, 1925–1945 397
24. Charles Mundye. Music Recollected: Ezra Pound’s Cavalcanti 415
25. Roxana Preda and Heriberto Cruz Cornejo. Vida Sin Fin: Ezra Pound and Gerhart Münch 445
PART V WASHINGTON: MENTORING THE YOUNG IN THE 1950s
26. Alec Marsh. Sheri Martinelli: The White Goddess 463
27. Galateia Demetriou. Art ‘in the Solid’: Ezra Pound and Michael Lekakis 477
28. Daniel Hackbarth. A ‘Transference of Power’: Ezra Pound and the Cinema of Hollis Frampton 483
Notes on Contributors 503; Bibliography 509; Index 539
VOLUMES INCLUDING MATERIAL ON EZRA POUND
- Calonne, David Stephen. Diane di Prima: Visionary Poetics and the Hidden Religions. New York, London, Oxford, New Delhi, Sydney: Bloomsbury Academic, 2019 [2. Return to New York: From Ezra Pound to the I Ching, 1953-60, 27-60].
- Robert Lowell in a New Century: European and American Perspectives. Ed. Thomas Austenfeld. Rochester, NY, and Woodbridge, Suffolk: Camden House, 2019 [Grzegorz Kosc, "Robert Lowell and Ezra Pound's Economics," 81-94; Massimo Bacigalupo, "Robert Lowell and Ezra Pound in Washington and Rapallo," 95-104]
- Scott, Brett L. R. Murray Schafer: a Creative Life. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2019.
- Tearle, Oliver. The Great War, The Waste Land and the Modernist Long Poem. London: Bloomsbury Academic, 2019 [4. 'The Age Demanded': Ezra Pound, Hugh Selwyn Mauberley.
- Wang, Guanglin. Translation in Diasporic Literatures. Singapore: Palgrave Pivot, 2019 [5. Translating Intersemiotically: Photographing West and East in Brian Castro's Shanghai Dancing, 73-105, chapter abstract].
- Wellman, Donald. ”How E.P. Is dispersed Molecularly Throughout the PisanCantos.” In Expressivity in ModernPoetry. Vancouver: Farleigh Dickinson, 2019.
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS AND COLLECTIONS
- Aji, Hélène. "The Common Pedagogy of the Uncommon Building Aesthetic Community from the Ezuniversity to Black Mountain College and Beyond." Modernist Communities across Cultures and Media. Ed. Caroline Pollentier and Sarah Wilson. Gainesville: U P of Florida, 2019. 68-86. Chapter abstract.
- Davis, Alex. "Collaborator: Ezra Pound, Translation, and Appropriation." Modernist Cultures 14.1 (February 2019): 17-35. Abstract.
- Rinaldi, Andrea. "Caged verses: some new notes on the politics of The Pisan Cantos." Vegueta. Anuario de la Facultad de Geografía e Historia 19 (2019): 381-401. Free online and here and here.
- Rose, Adrienne K. Ho. "[it] shakes my whole breathing being: Rethinking Gender with Translation in Anne Carson's 'A Fragment of Ibykos Translated Six Ways'" [in part, on Pound's version of Ibykos' fragment 286 ("The Spring")]. Konturen 10 (2019): 126-151. Free online.
- Bacigalupo, Massimo. Rev. of The Late Cantos of Ezra Pound: Composition, Revision, Publication, by Michael Kindellan. Modern Language Review 114.2 (April 2019): 367-369. First page.
- Harris, James Thornton. “The Secret Life of CIA Spymaster James Jesus Angleton.” Rev. of The Ghost: The Secret Life of CIA Spymaster James Jesus Angleton, by Jefferson Morley. History News Network, April 7, 2019. Free online.
- Heer, Jeet. "Adventures in Modernism." Rev. of Questioning Minds: The Letters of Guy Davenport and Hugh Kenner, ed. Edward M. Burns. The New Republic, March 20, 2019. Free online.
- Nicholls, Peter. “‘Irrritble’ and ‘purrsistent’: Ezra Pound in His Letters.” Rev. of Ezra Pound and the Globe Magazine, eds. Michael T. Davis and Cameron McWhirter and One Must Not Go Altogether with the Tide: The Letters of Ezra Pound and Stanley Nott, ed. Miranda Hickman. Modernist Cultures 12.1 (March 2017): 141-6.
- Ou, Rong. [Rev. of] East-West Exchange and Late Modernism: Williams, Moore, Pound, by Zhaoming Qian. Modernism/modernity 26.1 (January 2019): 238-239. Excerpt and first page.
- Pietrzak, Wit. Rev. of Michael Kindellan, The Late Cantos of Ezra Pound: Composition, Revision, Publication, and Andrew S. Gross, The Pound Reaction: Liberalism and Lyricism in Midcentury American Literature. European Journal of American Studies, Reviews 2018-3, 7 January 2019. Free online.
- Preda, Roxana. Rev. of by Michael Kindellan.
- Reynier, Christine. [Rev. of] Lise Jaillant, Cheap Modernism. Expanding Markets, Publishers’ Series and the Avant-Garde. Études britanniques contemporaines 56 (2019). Free online.
- Stubbs, Tara. Rev. of Warwick Gould (ed.). Yeats's Legacies: Yeats Annual No. 21. Cambridge, UK: Open Book Publishers, 2018. The Review of English Studies 70.294 (April 2019): 384-386. Abstract.
- Tokarsky, B. [Rev. of] The River of Time: Time-Space, History, and Language in Avant-Garde, Modernist, and Contemporary Russian and Anglo-American Poetry, by Ian Probstein. The Slavonic and East European Review 97.2 (April 2019): 355-357. First page. Third page.
- Volpicelli, Robert. "The New Decadence." Rev. of three books, including Modernism and the Reinvention of Decadence, by Vincent Sherry. Modernism/modernity 26.1 (January 2019): 213-218. Excerpt and first page.
- Barnes, David. "The Narrative of European Civilization within Radical Right Discourse." Centre for Analysis of the Radical Right Blog, April 2, 2019. Free online.
- Heer, Jeet. "Pound, Politics and Poetry." Talking Points Memo, March 22, 2019. Free online.
- Mendelson, Edward. "Auden on No-Platforming Pound." NYR Daily (The New York Review of Books), February 27, 2019. Free online.
- Sellar, Gordon. "Canto LXVIII." Blogging Pound's The Cantos. gordsellar.com, 16 April 2019. Free online.