Bibliography of English Language Scholarship on Ezra Pound
Assembled and edited by Archie Henderson and Roxana Preda
MONOGRAPHS ON EZRA POUND
- Berryman, Jo Brantley. Ezra Pound's Aesthetics and the Origins of Modernism. Brighton: Everett Root Publishers, 2020.
JOURNAL SPECIAL ISSUES
Pound Reconsidered. Special issue of Agenda vol. 53 no.4, Spring/Summer 2020.
Patricia McCarthy – Introduction 4-5
Michael Alexander – What Ezra Pound meant to me 6-13
Ezra Pound – The Dawn 14-30
A. David Moody. 'The Dawn' of Ezra Pound. A draft discovered 31-40
A David Moody. Towards a reading of Canto CXIII 41-52
W. S. Milne. Omniform. [review of the The Edinburgh Companion to Ezra Pound and the Arts] 53-55
A. David Moody. Ezra Pound's insanity and the Muncie Papers 79-97
ESSAY COLLECTIONS AND COLLECTIVE VOLUMES
- Bacigalupo, Massimo. Ezra Pound, Italy and the Cantos. Clemson SC: Clemson UP, 2020. Chapter abstracts.
- Parker, Richard, ed. Readings in the Cantos. Vol. 2. Clemson SC: Clemson UP, 2020. Contributors include John R. O. Gery, Massimo Bacigalupo, Dorsey Kleitz, Zhaoming Qian, Mary Ellis Gibson, Michael Kindellan, Harry Gilonis, Akitoshi Nagahata, David Ten Eyck, Jeff Twitchell-Waas, LeeAnn Derdyn, Roxana Preda, Caterina Ricciardi, Sean Pryor, Mark Byron, Henry Mead, Kristin Grogan, Ira Nadel, Alexander Howard, and Ron Bush.
VOLUMES INCLUDING MATERIAL ON EZRA POUND
- Ahearn, Barry. Pound, Frost, Moore, and Poetic Precision: Science in Modernist American Poetry. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, 2020 [3. Ezra Pound and Error, 61-140, chapter abstract].
- Al-Hussein, Salih Abdullah Abdulrahman. Critical Essays in Modern English and American Poetry: Perspectives of Ethnicity, Diaspora and Trauma in Modern English and American Poetry. Saarbrücken: JustFiction Edition, 2020.
- Feldman, Matthew. Politics, Intellectuals, and Faith: Essays. Stuttgart: ibidem Press, 2020.
- Garcia, Edgar. Signs of the Americas: A Poetics of Pictography, Hieroglyphs, and Khipu. Chicago and London: U of Chicago P, 2020.
- Golden, Amanda. Annotating Modernism: Marginalia and Pedagogy from Virginia Woolf to the Confessional Poets. London and New York: Routledge, 2020 [2. John Berryman annotating modernism, 91-128 (Scholarship. Annotating Pound. Editing Pound), chapter abstract].
- Oppenheimer, Paul. Poetry and Freedom: Discoveries in Aesthetics 1985-2018. London and New York: Anthem P, 2020 [3. Ezra Pound: The Solitary Volcano, 25-32, chapter abstract].
- Rasula, Jed. Acrobatic Modernism from the Avant-Garde to Prehistory. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2020 [4. Make It New, 163-200, chapter abstract].
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS AND COLLECTIONS
- Alawi, Nabil, and Samah Jarrad. "The translation of modern English poetry into Arabic: treating the idiosyncrasies of content and form." An-Najah University Journal of Research (Humanities) 34.3 (2020): 1-38. Free online.
- Deng, Wensheng, and Ke Zhang. "Translation Idea: What Is Under-appreciated by a Teacher of Scholar." Theory and Practice in Language Studies 10.7 (July 2020): 777-784. Free online and here.
- Fang, Xia. "Translation as Creative Writing Practice." New Writing, Published online: 11 June 2020. Abstract.
- Gao, Ning, and Wang Feng. "A Study on the Tang Poetry Translation in the Perspective of 'Harmony-guided Three-level Poetry Translation Criteria' - a Case Study of Li Bai's 'Climbing the Phoenix Terrace in Jinling.'" European Journal of Applied Linguistics Studies 3.1 (2020): 30-40 [comparing and analyzing translations of Li Bai's poem 登金陵凤凰台 by Sun Dayu, Xu Yuanchong, Ezra Pound (translated as "The City of Choan"), and Robert Payne]. Free online and here.
- Gerard, Philip. "Pound Notes in German Markets: Paul Celan, Usury, and the Postwar Currency of Ezra Pound." Modernism/modernity 27.1 (January 2020): 125-145. Free online and here.
- Hama, Bakhtiar Sabir. "Imagism and Imagery in the Selected Poems of Major Imagist Poets." Koya University Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 3.1 (June 2020): 88-93. Free online and here.
- Houwen, Andrew. "'Min's Lamp in Nippon': Ezra Pound and Japanese Neoconfucianism." Essays and Studies in British & American Literature 66 (2020): 23-37. Free online.
- Ma, Xiao, and Lili Dang. "New Cosmopolitanism as a Way out of Ethical Dilemma in Foreignization: A Comparison of Ezra Pound's and Yuanchong Xu's Classical Chinese Poetry Translation." International Journal of Applied Linguistics and Translation 6.1 (March 2020): 1-11. Free online and here.
- May, Will. "'The Builder's Whim': Pound, Ethics, and the Whimsical Poet." Literary Imagination, Published: 17 May 2020. Abstract.
- Shershnova, Anna. "Meaning-Making Through Montage in English-language Haiku." EGE ARTIS: Language yesterday, today, tomorrow 5.1 (2020): 314-349. Free online.
- Stevens, Jeremy. "What the Nightingale Sings: History, Lyric, and the Modernist Epic." ELH 87.1 (Spring 2020): 245-272 [a reading of the figure of the nightingale in T.S. Eliot's "A Game of Chess" section in The Waste Land and Ezra Pound's Canto 20]. Free online and here.
- Su, Kent. "'Confucius at the "Apricot Altar"' in Ezra Pound's Canto XIII." Notes and Queries 67.1 (March 2020): 137-138. Abstract.
- Azzopardi, Mark. Rev. of Natalia Cecire, Experimental: American Literature and the Aesthetics of Knowledge. Affirmations: Of the Modern 7.1 (16 June 2020). Free online and here.
- Chace, William M. Rev. of Modernism and the Law, by Robert Spoo. Common Knowledge 26.2 (Apr. 2020): 358-359. First page. Second page.
- Cleary, Heather. Rev. of Incomparable Empires: Modernism and the Translation of Spanish and American Literature, by Gayle Rogers. Revista Hispánica Moderna 73.1 (June 2020): 133-136. Free online.
- Detwyler, Anatoly. Rev. of Make It the Same: Poetry in the Age of Global Media, by Jacob Edmond. Modernism/modernity 27.2 (April 2020): 420-423. Free online.
- Emerson, Caryl. Rev. of Utopias of One, by Joshua Kotin. Common Knowledge 26.1 (Jan. 2020): 151-152. Excerpt and first page.
- Frayn, Andrew. Rev. of Oliver Tearle, The Great War, The Waste Land and the Modernist Long Poem. The Review of English Studies 71.298 (February 2020): 193-195. Abstract.
- Hibbard, Andrea. "Modernism & the Law." Rev. of Robert Spoo, Modernism and the Law. English Literature in Transition, 1880-1920 63.2 (2020): 258-261. Excerpt and first page.
- Ketteringham, Sean. Rev. of Christos Hadjiyiannis, Conservative Modernists: Literature and Tory Politics in Britain, 1900-1920. Notes and Queries, Published: 16 April 2020. Abstract.
- Kettler, Andrew. Rev. of Filthy Material: Modernism and the Media of Obscenity, by Chris Forster. Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, Published online: 24 Feb. 2020. Free online.
- Ku, Ryanson Alessandro. Rev. of three books, including The East-West Exchange and Late Modernism: Williams, Moore, Pound, by Zhaoming Qian. American Literature 92.2 (June 2020): 387-390. Abstract.
- Loydell, Rupert. "A Biographical Solution." Rev. of Ezra Pound, Italy and The Cantos, by Massimo Bacigalupo. April 2020. Free online.
- Maunsell, Jerome Boyd. Rev. of Rebecca Roach, Literature and the Rise of the Interview. The Review of English Studies 71.299 (Apr. 2020): 402-404. Abstract.
- Mead, Henry. "Conservative Modernists." Rev. of Christos Hadjiyiannis, Conservative Modernists: Literature and Tory Politics in Britain, 1900-1920. English Literature in Transition, 1880-1920 63.2 (2020): 270-272. Excerpt and first page.
- Milne, W. S. "Omniform." Rev. of The Edinburgh Companion to Ezra Pound and the Arts, ed. Roxana Preda. Agenda 53.4 (April 2020): 53-5.
- Mills, Gareth. Rev. of Lise Jaillant (ed.). Publishing Modernist Fiction and Poetry. The Review of English Studies 71.298 (February 2020): 195-198. Abstract and here.
- Perloff, Marjorie. Rev. of Questioning Minds: The Letters of Guy Davenport and Hugh Kenner, ed. Edward M. Burns. Common Knowledge 26.1 (Jan. 2020): 166-167. Excerpt and first page.
- Pryor, Sean. Rev. of Oliver Tearle, The Great War, The Waste Land and the Modernist Long Poem. Affirmations: of the modern 7 (4 Feb. 2020). Free online and here.
- Randall, Belle. Rev. of The Transmutation of Love and Avant-Garde Poetics, by Jeanne Heuving. Common Knowledge 26.1 (Jan. 2020): 167. Free online and here.
- Rosenbaum, Susan. Rev. of three books, including Deafening Modernism: Embodied Language and Visual Poetics in American Literature, by Rebecca Sanchez. American Literature 92.2 (June 2020): 394-397. Abstract.
- Smith, Jules. "Frankly and fiercely." Rev. of Circling the Canon: The Selected Book Reviews of Marjorie Perloff. David Jonathan Bayot, Editor. Two volumes. The Times Literary Supplement, July 24, 2020. Free online.
- Solomon, Bill. Rev. of On Company Time: American Modernism in the Big Magazines, by Donal Harris, and Poetic Modernism in the Culture of Mass Print, by Bartholomew Brinkman. American Literature 92.1 (Mar. 2020): 166-169. Abstract.
Stalter-Pace, Sunny. Rev. of Leonard Diepeveen, Modernist Fraud: Hoax, Parody, Deception. Modernism/modernity 27.2 (April 2020): 412-414. Free online.
- Su, Kent (Yi-Kuan). Rev. of Timothy Billings (ed.), Ezra Pound, Cathay: A Critical Edition. The Review of English Studies, Published: 5 February 2020. Abstract. Corrigendum.
- Talbot, John. Rev. of The Classics in Modernist Translation, eds. Miranda Hickman and Lynn Kozak. Translation and Literature 29.2 (June 2020): 233-245. First page.
- Taylor, Jane H. M. Rev. of François Villon in English Poetry: Translation and Influence, by Claire Pascolini-Campbell. French Studies 74.1 (January 2020): 108-109. Free online and here.
- Tearle, Oliver. Rev. of Christos Hadjiyiannis, Conservative Modernists: Literature and Tory Politics in Britain, 1900-1920. The Review of English Studies, Published: 11 February 2020. Abstract.
- Warwick, Mal. "James Jesus Angleton, the man who nearly destroyed the CIA." Rev. of The Ghost: The Secret Life of CIA Spymaster James Jesus Angleton, by Jefferson Morley. Mal Warwick's Blog on Books, 2020. Full text.
- "The Cantos of Ezra Pound - 1930's." Media Hopper Create - The University of Edinburgh Media Platform, February 18, 2020. This event, sponsored by The Cantos Project at the University of Edinburgh and the Leverhulme Trust, showcases the poems written between 1930 and 1936. Canto 31, Canto 36, Canto 37, Canto 39, Canto 41, Canto 43, Canto 45, Canto 46, Canto 47, Canto 49, Canto 51. Reader: Paul Cunningham. Introduction by Prof. Peter Liebregts. "Al giorno and al gran cerchio d'ombra" and "Sonata Ghuidonis" - 1st Part, performed by Leslee Smucker on the violin. Videos.
- Dubin, Brian. "Ezra Pound and the modernist image." Twentieth Century, Student Writing Center, 6 Apr. 2016. Updated 19 May 2020. Free online.
- Holme, Mike. "Ezra Pound: Poetry and Politics." Mad Politics: The Bizarre, Fascinating, and Unknown of American Political History, May 24, 2020. Free online.
- Jones, Josh. "Scenes of Ezra Pound Wandering Through Venice and Reading from His Famous Pisan Cantos (1967)." Open Culture, April 29, 2020. Free online.
- loomiscollection. "Where in the World is Ezra Pound?" 2020? Story Map.
- McDougall, Benedick Flexmore. "Ezra Pound's Greek Anthology." Journal of the History of Ideas Blog, March 4, 2020. Free online.
- Nadel, Ira, and Demetres Tryphonopoulos. "A chronology of the life of Ezra Pound, an adjunct to Teaching Approaches to Ezra Pound's Poetry and Prose (MLA)." 2020. Free online.
- Sawyer, Richard. "Coition the Sacrament: the Odyssean Mysteries in Canto 47." The Cantos Project, 14 May 2020. Free online.
- Sawyer, Richard. "The Golden Tiger Mysteries in Canto 21 & the Fire-Kindling Rite in Canto 39." The Cantos Project, 16 February 2020. Free online.
- Sawyer, Richard. "I Am Hathor. The Beast Fables Excised from Canto 39." The Cantos Project, 6 February 2020. Free online.
- Sawyer, Richard. "The 12 Regents in Canto 51." The Cantos Project, 2 April 2020. Free online.
- Sawyer, Richard. “Canto 46 and the ex nihil Racket.” The Cantos Project, 6 July 2020. Free online.
- Sellar, Gordon. Blogging Pound's The Cantos. Canto LXXI. 12 April 2020. gordsellar.com.
- "Whither American Poetry – Part 5." TGAPS, 2020? Free online.