Bibliography of English Language Scholarship on Ezra Pound
Assembled and edited by Archie Henderson and Roxana Preda
- Houwen, Andrew. Ezra Pound's Japan. London & New York: Bloomsbury, 2021. Abstract and Table of Contents.
- Marsh, Alec. Ezra Pound's Washington Cantos and the Struggle for Light. London & New York: Bloomsbury, 2021. Abstract and Table of Contents.
- Scholes, Robert and David Ben-Merre. Super Schoolmaster. Ezra Pound as Teacher, Then and Now. New York: SUNY P, 2021. Contents: Preface: Back to Basics, by Robert Scholes – Preface: In a Station, by David Ben-Merre – Introduction – 1. Pounding the Academy: The Poet as Student and Teacher – 2. The Critic as Teacher: Pound's "New Method" in Scholarship – 3. How to Read Comparatively – 4. Periodical Studies – 5. The Instructor as Propagandist – Afterword: Schools of Fish, by David Ben-Merre. Abstract.
ESSAY COLLECTIONS AND COLLECTIVE VOLUMES
- Baumann, Walter, John Gery and Alexander McKnight, eds. Cross-Cultural Ezra Pound. Clemson: Clemson UP, 2021.
Contents: Preface, by David McKnight, ix-x -- Introduction: Six Ways a Sunday: The Cross-Cultural Realm of Ezra Pound, by John Gery, Walter Baumann, and David McKnight, 1-14 -- I. Pound’s Cross-Cultural Genesis -- 1. Pound’s Modern (Metrical) Education, by Ira Nadel, 17-26 -- 2. The First Imagists, by William Pratt, 27-36 -- 3. Pound and/or Franklin: A Reading of Canto 31, by John Gery, 37-50 -- II. Pound’s Cross-Cultural Poetics -- 4. Pound’s Vorticist Theory and H.D.’s “Oread,” by Yoshiko Kita, 53-65 -- 5. Fenollosa and Pound: The Authorship Question of The Chinese Written Character as a Medium for Poetry, by Lin Wei, 67-78 -- 6. Pound’s Composition of Canto 16: “j’entendis des voix,” by John Beall, 79-90 -- 7. The Genealogy of the China Cantos, by Kent Su, 91-102 -- III. Pound and Cross-Cultural Questions of Translation -- 8. The Poetics of Queering Translation in Ezra Pound’s Homage to Sextus Propertius, by Christian Bancroft, 105-117 -- 9. Rainer Maria Gerhardt and Ezra Pound, by Walter Baumann, 119-125 -- 10. “Cantos” or “Cantares”? Pound’s Reception in Two Romance Languages, by Viorica Patea, 127-146 -- IV. Cross-Cultural Perceptions of Pound and His Work -- 11. Ezra Pound and Caresse Crosby: From Black Sun to Roccasinibalda, by Anne Conover, 149-162 -- 12. Pound, Bergson, and the Vortex of Memory, by Jonathan Pollock, 163-172 -- 13. Ritual and Performance in The Pisan Cantos and H.D.’s Trilogy, by Giuliana Ferreccio, 173-186 -- 14. A Carthaginian Peace: Kenner, Watts, and the Founding of Pound Studies, by Michael Coyle, 187-202. Abstract.
- Parker, Richard, ed. Readings in the Cantos. Vol. 2. Clemson SC: Clemson UP, 2021.
Contributors include John R. O. Gery, Massimo Bacigalupo, Dorsey Kleitz, Zhaoming Qian, Mary Ellis Gibson, Michael Kindellan, Harry Gilonis, Akitoshi Nagahata, David Ten Eyck, Jeff Twitchell-Waas, LeeAnn Derdyn, Roxana Preda, Caterina Ricciardi, Sean Pryor, Mark Byron, Henry Mead, Kristin Grogan, Ira Nadel, Alexander Howard, and Ron Bush.
- Tryphonopoulos, Demetres P. and Ira B. Nadel. Approaches to Teaching Pound's Poetry and Prose. New York: MLA, 2021. Abstract.
VOLUMES INCLUDING MATERIAL ON EZRA POUND
- Feldman, Matthew, Anna Svendsen and Erik Tönning, eds. Historicizing Modernists: Approaches to Archivalism. London and New York: Bloomsbury, 2021. Abstract and Table of Contents.
- Leveque, James P. Words like Fire: Prophecy and Apocalypse in Apollinaire, Marinetti and Pound. [Studies in Comparative Literature 50] MHRA, 2021. Abstract.
- Moss, Gemma. Modernism, Music and the Politics of Aesthetics. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 2021. Abstract and Table of Contents.
- Piantanida, Cecilia. Sappho and Catullus in Twentieth-Century Italian and North American Poetry. London and New York: Bloomsbury Academic, 2021 [2. Modernist Rites, 53-84 (Sappho and Catullus Imagistes. Angels and drabs in Pound’s Lustra (1917), 58-65; Sappho and Catullus beyond Imagism. The second phase in Pound's reception: The two masks of Eros, 79-80; The third phase in Pounds reception: Private and public poetry, 81-84)].
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS AND COLLECTIONS
- Aji, Hélène. "Paideuma: The Ethics of Scholarly Criticism." Paideuma: Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics 45 (2018 [pub. 2021]): 3-12. In part, on Marcella Spann Booth's correspondence with Carroll Terrell concerning her essay "Through the Smoke Hole": Ezra Pound's Last Year at St. Elizabeths," Paideuma 3.3 (Winter 1974): 329-334.
- Diaper, Jeremy. "Farming and Agriculture in Literary Modernism." Modernist Cultures 16.1 (Feb. 2021): 86-113. Abstract.
- Harris, James. "Pound rocks." The Spectator, January 17, 2021. Free online.
- Ho, Tammy Lai-Ming. "Trans-Cultural and Trans-Temporal Translations." The Epoch of Universalism 1769-1989 L'époque de l'universalisme 1769-1989. Eds. Franck Hofmann and Markus Messling. Berlin/Boston: De Gruyter, 2021. 141-155. Free online and here and here.
- Hunter, Nathaniel. "Personal devotions can guide us to God. What Ezra Pound and St. Maximilian Kolbe taught me about devotions." U.S. Catholic 86.3 (March 2021): 21-25. Free online.
- "In memoriam Emily Mitchell Wallace." Paideuma: Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics 45 (2018 [pub. 2021]): 283-284. With a photograph of Wallace by Walter Baumann on p. 283.
- Karam, Khaled Mostafa, and Helmy Elfiel. "An Experimental Appraisal of the Acquisition of Creative Literary Compression versus Descriptive Texts." Creativity Research Journal, Published online: 31 Jan. 2021 [in part, on "In a Station of the Metro"]. Abstract.
- Martínez Martínez, Faustino. "Some Brief Notes on Ezra Pound and Roman Law." Challenges to Legal Theory: Essays in Honour of Professor José Iturmendi Morales. Eds.: María José Falcón y Tella and Juan Antonio Martínez Muñoz. Leiden and Boston: Brill | Nijhoff, 2021. 79-96. First two pages.
- Palaima, Thomas. "Pound and Owen: A Correction." Paideuma: Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics 45 (2018 [pub. 2021]): 243-248.
- Rodal, Jocelyn. "The Metaphor as an Equation: Ezra Pound and the Similitudes of Representation." The Palgrave Handbook of Literature and Mathematics. Robert Tubbs, Alice Jenkins, Nina Engelhardt, Eds. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, 2021. 529-549. Chapter abstract and references.
- Su, Kent. "Landscapes and Taoism in Ezra Pound's Cantos." Neohelicon, Published: 6 January 2021. On the Taoist elements in the evocation of Chinese landscapes in Pound's Cantos 4 and 49. Abstract, notes, and references.
- Chambers, Matthew. Rev. of Amanda Golden, Annotating Modernism: Marginalia and Pedagogy from Virginia Woolf to the Confessional Poets. The Review of English Studies, Published: 7 February 2021. Abstract.
- Dunagan, Patrick James. Rev. of Ezra Pound, Italy, and The Cantos, by Massimo Bacigalupo. Rain Taxi (Winter 2020-2021). Online Feb. 4, 2021. Free online.
- Hollis, Catherine W. Rev. of Serial Encounters: Ulysses and The Little Review, by Clare Hutton. Feminist Modernist Studies, Published online: 17 Feb. 2021. First page.
- Lambert, Christina J. "Remembered Relationships: A Review of John Berryman and Robert Giroux: A Publishing Friendship." Rev. of John Berryman and Robert Giroux: A Publishing Friendship, by Patrick Samway, S.J. Front Porch Republic, January 27, 2021. Free online.
- Meyers, Jeffrey. "Literary Godfathers." Rev. of two books, including The Bughouse: The Poetry, Politics and Madness of Ezra Pound, by Daniel Swift. Paideuma: Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics 45 (2018 [pub. 2021]): 271-280 (at 275-280). A variant version of the review under the same title in The Antioch Review 77.1 (Winter 2019): 43-51.
- Mills, Billy. Rev. of The Fall of America Journals, 1965-1971, by Allen Ginsberg, ed. Michael Schumacher. Elliptical Movements, 24 Feb. 2021. Free online.
- Nicholls, Peter. Rev. of Ezra Pound, Italy, and The Cantos, by Massimo Bacigalupo. Studies in Travel Writing, Published online: 1 Jan. 2021. First page.
- O'Grady, Thomas. Rev. of Serial Encounters: Ulysses and The Little Review, by Clare Hutton. James Joyce Quarterly 58.1-2 (Fall 2020-Winter 2021): 197-200. Excerpt and first page.
- Perris, Simon. Rev. of Translations of Greek Tragedy in the Work of Ezra Pound, by Peter Liebregts." Translation and Literature 30.1 (Feb. 2021): 108-114. First page.
- Short, Emma. "No Place Like Home." Rev. of Victoria Rosner, Machines for Living: Modernism and Domestic Life. Women: A Cultural Review, Published online: 12 Feb. 2021. First page.
- Borgan, Johnny. "«Sometimes I Turn, There's Someone There, Other Times It's Only Me» – About «From Dickinson to Dylan» by Glenn Hughes, 2020." Johnny B. Blog, January 4, 2021. Free online.
- Bowles, Mark. "Ezra Pound in Pisa." charlotte street, January 29, 2021. Free online.
- Fry, T. A. "My Clumsiness Each Time I Try To Dance." Fourteen Lines, January 14, 2021. On Delmore Schwartz, Robert Lowell, and Ezra Pound. Free online.
- Guidi, Paolo. "The Cantos of Ezra Pound." 117 plates. A series of prints based upon the Cantos, with passages from the Cantos and additional text by the artist. Paulus Vidius Blog, 2012-2021. Free online.
- Lielacher, Alex. "The Economics of the Poet Ezra Pound: What Is Money For?" Cryptonews.com, January 31, 2021. Free online and here and here.