Bibliography of English Language Scholarship on Ezra Pound
Assembled and edited by Archie Henderson and Roxana Preda
- Shloss, Carol. Let the Wind Speak: Mary de Rachewiltz and Ezra Pound. Philadelphia: U of Pennsylvania P, 2023. Preface.
- Riou, Berengere. "Unspeakable Things: The Poetics of Secrecy in Ezra Pound and H.D." Diss. New York U, 2023 [1. Pound's "Secretum": From "Cult of Amor" to Conspiracy; 3. Self and Secrecy in H.D. and Pound; CODA: "Pound and me" / "My H.D."]. Document Preview.
ESSAY COLLECTIONS AND COLLECTIVE VOLUMES
VOLUMES INCLUDING MATERIAL ON EZRA POUND
- DuPlessis, Rachel Blau. A Long Essay on the Long Poem: Modern and Contemporary Poetics and Practices. Tuscaloosa: U of Alabama P, 2023 [esp. 1. Length, "Longing," and the Long Poem, 1-46].
- Waithe, Marcus. The Work of Words: Literature, Craft, and the Labour of Mind in Britain, 1830-1940. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 2023 [6. Modernism and the Maker. iii. Rusty Chisels: Pound, Prejudice, and Poetic Apprenticeship].
JOURNAL SPECIAL ISSUES
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS AND COLLECTIONS
- Abed, Alaa Kareem. "Palilogy and Narrativity into Escapism-Selected Poems of Ezra Pound." Journal Educational Verkenning 4.1 (Apr. 2023): 1-10. Free online and here.
- Bădulescu, Dana. "Translation and Transcreation in Ezra Pound's One-Image Poem." Agathos 14.1 [no. 26] (2023): 65-74. Free online.
- Dowthwaite, James. "'Fear God and the Stupidity of the Populace': Pound, Eliot, and High Modernism between Populism and Esotericism." Literary Matters 15.2 (Spring 2023). Free online.
- Poupard, Duncan James. "In Defense of Ezra Pound's 'Graphological' Translations.'" The Translator, Published online: 5 Apr. 2023. Abstract.
- Qiang, Xiao. "Between Literature and Philosophy: On Translating Confucius into English." Translation and Literature 32.1 (Mar. 2023): 22-41. Free online.
- Tonning, Erik. "Ezra Pound versus T. S. Eliot on Christianity, Apocalypse and Myth, 1934-1945." The Edinburgh Companion to Modernism, Myth and Religion. Eds. Suzanne Hobson and Andrew D. Radford. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 2023. 19-34. First page.
- Tornatore-Loong, Maria. "Calligraphic Ideograms, Plastic Poems, Spatialism, and Self-Referentiality: The Evolution of Japanese Concrete and Visual Poetry." The International Journal of the Image 14.2 (2023): 23-62. Abstract.
- Uyurkulak, Serhat. "Ezra Pound and A. H. Tanpinar: Two Modes of Authenticity in Modernist World Literature." Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi [Dokuz Eylul University The Journal of Graduate School of Social Sciences] 25.1 (2023): 134-149. Free online.
- Wang, Huiping. "Tracing the Translator's Voice: A Corpus-Based Study of Six English Translations of Daxue." Frontiers in Psychology 13 (12 January 2023), Art. 1069697. Free online.
- Yusuf, Sanberk. "The Modernist Elements in the Poetry of Ezra Pound and Orhan Veli Kanik." Proceedings of the ESIDRP International Conference:English Studies at the Interface of Disciplines: Research and Practice (ESIDRP) (April 8-9, 2022, Skopje, R. N. Macedonia). Skopje: Ss Cyril and Methodius U, R.N. Macedonia, 2023.161-172. Free online.
- Adams, V. Joshua. "Close, but No Cigar." Rev. of Infrathin: An Experiment in Micropoetics, by Marjorie Perloff. Modern Language Quarterly 84.1 (Mar. 2023): 53-70. Abstract.
- Beattie, Steven. "Fragments shored against ruins: Matthew Hollis charts the convoluted and painful path toward T.S. Eliot's masterpiece in a new 'biography' of The Waste Land." Rev. of The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem, by Matthew Hollis. That Shakespearean Rag, January 7, 2023.
- Ben-Merre, David. Rev. of The Poets of Rapallo: How Mussolini's Italy Shaped British, Irish, and U.S. Writers, by Lauren Arrington. American Literary History 35.2 (Summer 2023): 971-974. Free online and here.
- Cammack, Zan. "Political Pressures and Modernist Musicology." Rev. of Modernism, Music and the Politics of Aesthetics, by Gemma Moss. James Joyce Literary Supplement 36.1 (2023), Art. 1: Free online.
- Di Martino, Giovanna. Rev. of Greek Tragedy and Modernist Performance: Hellenism As Theatricality, by Olga Taxidou. Modern Drama 66.1 (Mar. 2023): 137-139. Abstract.
- French, Liz. Rev. of Magnificent Rebel: Nancy Cunard in Jazz Age Paris, by Anne De Courcy. Library Journal, Jan. 1, 2023. Free online.
- Gillespie, Patrick. "Matthew Hollis & the death of The Waste Land." Rev. of The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem, by Matthew Hollis. PoemShape, February 14, 2023. Free online.
- Gillott, Brendan C. Rev. of Orphic Bend: Music and Innovative Poetics, by Robert L. Zamsky. American Literary History 35.2 (Summer 2023): 983-986. Free online.
- Houston, Lloyd (Meadhbh). Rev. of The Poets of Rapallo: How Mussolini's Italy Shaped British, Irish, and U.S. Writers, by Lauren Arrington. Estudios Irlandeses 18 (2023): 255-260. Free online.
- Jenkins, Grant Matthew. Rev. of Modernist Poetry and the Limitations of Materialist Theory: The Importance of Constructivist Values, by Charles Altieri. American Literary History 35.1 (Feb. 2023): 592-595. Free online.
- Liebregts, Peter. Rev. of Ezra Pound and His Classical Sources: The Cantos and the Primal Matter of Troy, by Jonathan Ullyot, English Studies, Published online: 9 Apr. 2023.
- Masud, Noreen. "When the smoke clears: H. D.'s roman a clef about life with Ezra Pound and Frances Gregg." Rev. of Hermione, by H. D. Times Literary Supplement 6251 (Jan. 20, 2023). Excerpt,
- McKever, Rosalind. Rev. of Sculptors Against the State: Anarchism and the Anglo-European Avant-Garde, by Mark Antliff. caa.reviews, January 25, 2023. Free online.
- McLane, Maureen N. "Trees are complicated." Rev. of HERmione, by H.D., and Winged Words: The Life and Work of the Poet H. D., by Donna Krolik Hollenberg. London Review of Books 45.3 (2 February 2023). Free online.
- Mlinko, Ange. "Review: (1) Ange Mlinko on an Eliot Centenary." Rev. of Eliot after The Waste Land, by Robert Crawford; The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem, by Matthew Hollis; The Waste Land: A Facsimile & Transcript of the Original Drafts Including the Annotations of Ezra Pound; and What the Thunder Said: How The Waste Land Made Poetry Modern, by Jed Rasula. Book Post, Jan. 10, 2023. Excerpt.
- Odom, Nicholas. Rev. of Ezra Pound's Washington Cantos and the Struggle for Light, by Alec Marsh. European Journal of American Studies, 27 February 2023. Free online and here and here.
- Quin, John. "The Waste Land by Matthew Hollis review - a walk through true despair." Rev. of The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem, by Matthew Hollis. The National, January 7, 2023. Excerpt and here.
- Rosenow, Ce. Rev. of Ezra Pound's Japan, by Andrew Houwen. Japanese Studies 43.1 (Jan. 2023): 117-118.
- Rubery, Matthew. Rev. of Sound and Literature, ed. Anna Snaith. Media History 29.1 (Jan. 2023): 145-148. First page.
- Short, Edward. "The Waste Land Remains Contemporary." Rev. of The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem, by Matthew Hollis. City Journal, January 13, 2023. Free online.
- Zamsky, Robert. Rev. of Humor, Empathy, and Community in Twentieth-Century American Poetry, by Rachel Trousdale. American Literary History 35.2 (Summer 2023): 979-982. Free online.
- Fader, Ira. "Ezra Unbound — Trying the Poetry." The wow of poetry, January 27, 2023. Free online and here.
- Fader, Ira. "Trying Ezra Pound." The wow of poetry, January 1, 2023. Free online and here.
- Ford, Jonathan, and Neil Collins. “The Nobel Prize in Economics for Poets.” A Long Time In Finance, 31 Mar. 2023. Neil and Jonathan talk to John Ramsden, author of The Poets' Guide to Economics. Podcast.
- Gathers, Mike. Episode 19: Eric Wagner on Ezra Pound. Hilaritas Press Podcast, Mar 23, 2023. In this episode, Mike Gathers chats with Eric Wagner about poet and critic Ezra Pound. Podcast and here.
- Gillespie, Patrick. "Penitence." PoemShape, February 28, 2023. Free online.
- Hudson, Frank. “Love and a Question.” Frank Hudson, March 25, 2023. Includes a reproduction in facsimile of a map drawn by Pound to show Frost how to get to Yeats's place in London. Free online.
- Kotin, Joshua. "Hugh Kenner's The Pound Era: FAQ." Nonsite.org, April 11, 2023. Free online.
- Leow, H.M.A. "Lost in Translation: Ezra Pound's Imagism and the Angel Island Poets." JSTOR Daily, March 21, 2023. Free online.
- Lewis, Stephen. "Ezra, Scott [Adams] and artists versus art." record-eagle.com, Mar. 26, 2023. Free online.
- McDaniel, Jay. "In a Station of the Metro: Ezra Pound (1885-1972) and Alfred North Whitehead (1861-1947)." Open Horizons, Feb. 2023. Free online.
- Murphy, Justin. "Ezra Pound and the Curse of Genius." Other Life, Apr. 19, 2023. Free online.